Three Amoghapasha inscriptions
Amoghapasha A inscription
The square base of the Amoghapasha Lokeshvara statue was found separately, at some distance from the image. It is inscribed on all four sides. This is known as the Amoghapasha A inscription. The inscription, written in Old Malay using Old Javanese characters, is written around the four sides of the base starting on the left side. The writing takes up four lines, except on the fourth (rear) side, which contains only one line of writing, in line with the fourth line of the right side. The inscription was issued in the Shaka year 1208 (1286 AD) at the order of King Kertanagara.
Amoghapasha B inscription
On the rear of the statue’s back support there is also an inscription, known as the Amoghapasha B inscription. It is written in Sanskrit using Old Sumatran characters (which are slightly different from Old Javanese characters). It has 27 lines, and is partly written in metrum (poetry) and partly in prose.
The inscription was issued by Adityawarman, a Sumatran king, in Shaka 1269 (1347 AD). The content concerns the restoration of a damaged holy building, the erection of a Buddha statue named Gaganaganja, and a ritual that was directed to the figure of the king as Jina in a holy Buddhist building (Jinalaya). This ritual is indicated by the expression ‘ha ha hu hu’, which mimics the sound of laughter and suggests a Tantric context.
Amoghapasha C inscription
Finally, there is an inscription on the upper surface of the statue’s base, near the feet of the main statue and the four accompanying statues. This inscription is called Amoghapasha C. With very little room for this inscription, the spacing between the letters is very tight, making it difficult to read. It looks like it is written in Sanskrit in Old Sumatran script, but the script is different from the Amoghapasha B script. Louis-Charles Damais thought that the Amoghapasha C inscription was also issued by King Adityawarman, but its date of issue is unknown.