Travels of the Jakarta statues
The Prajnaparamita statue, which probably belonged to one of the four ruins to the south of Candi Singosari, seems to have been discovered and removed by D. Monnereau, assistant resident of Malang, who passed it on to Reinwardt in 1819. It came into the collection of the National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden in 1823.
The director of that museum, C. Reuvens, had been keen to acquire this statue, which he thought particularly beautiful. In 1903 it was moved to Museum Volkenkunde (MV) with the other Singosari statues. In 1978 it was returned to the Indonesian Republic. Since then it has taken pride of place in the permanent exhibition of the National Museum of Indonesia (NMI) in Jakarta.
The statue of the sage (rishi) Trinavindu (MNI 63), which was described and depicted by Raffles in The history of Java of 1817, was acquired for the Batavian Museum in 1846. In 1931 it featured in the Colonial Exhibition in Paris and was unfortunately badly damaged by the fire that broke out in the Dutch pavilion. The remains, partly blackened by the fire, were returned to Batavia.
In 1893 a number of statues that were still at the site were transferred to the museum in Batavia. Among these were two Nandis (324c, 325a), a Durga (153f), five Ganeshas (157a, 157b, 164a, 187a, 191a), a Surya (204a), an elephant (337a), a yoni (363a) and a monster head (kala) (402a). Most of them were first described by H.J. Domis in his 1836 publication.
Two other Nandi statues were sent to Batavia in 1900. One of the statues closely resembles the Nandi in Leiden. It is slightly larger than the one in Leiden, and has more elaborate ornamentation. It was described by Raffles and, in 1895, when still at the site, it was photographed by T.F.A. Delprat.
In 1904 two damaged but highly interesting sculptures were found at the Singosari site: the upper part of an image of the sage (rishi) Marici (63a/4678), and a headless image of a female deity (281e/4679). Both were transferred to the museum in Batavia (now MNI).