Candi E (Candi Wayang)

According to Bik’s map, the last temple in the series (Candi E) stood further south and had a cruciform ground plan. The temple was known by local people as Candi Wayang, referring to the Javanese shadow theatre. It owes its name to the reliefs that adorned its base. Sieburgh made a rough sketch of this temple in 1822 (37-903-39 ). On both the base and the temple body large pilasters alternated with reliefs of animals and humans. Candi Wayang, in contrast to the other temples, was not built from andesite (a dark volcanic stone), but from a soft white stone. J. Rigg, who visited the place in 1847, gives a fairly detailed description of the reliefs of Candi Wayang

A great number of fragments of sculptures were found and excavated at Candi E and in its direct vicinity, including an unfinished bull (at Singosari), fragments of a base, a headless Garuda (lost?), a Garuda carrying a pedestal with the legs of an image (lost?), and a headless seated figure (see below) with an animal on the pedestal (at Singosari).

Headless seated figure with animal